Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Homeless Youth and Federal Student Aid

On June 10, 2016, the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Federal Student Aid (FSA) released a new fact sheet entitled Federal Student Aid and Homeless Youth, available at http://ifap.ed.gov/eannouncements/061016AvailoftheFSAHomelessYouthFactSheetonStudentaidgov.html.

The fact sheet provides important information about federal financial aid for college and other supports available to unaccompanied homeless youth. While the information included in the fact sheet is helpful for practitioners, the fact sheet is intended to be a youth-friendly document that informs students themselves about their options and supports available to them.

Topics covered include:
  • Can I receive federal student aid if I am homeless or at risk of becoming homeless?
  • Do I need to provide my parents’ income information on the FAFSA?
  • Do I need to provide a home address on the FAFSA?
  • Will I be required to submit documentation to prove that I am “unaccompanied” and homeless or at risk of becoming homeless?
  • What happens if I can’t obtain a homeless youth determination from any of the individuals listed in Question 4?
  • Where can I find additional resources for homeless youth? 
Visit http://ifap.ed.gov/eannouncements/061016AvailoftheFSAHomelessYouthFactSheetonStudentaidgov.htmlto download the fact sheet and read FSA's accompanying press release.

No comments:

Post a Comment